Thursday, August 27, 2009

Reiteration

I feel like some things need to be explained.

Obviously, since people can’t witness the whole process my mind goes through with every subject and given the lack of words to accurately portray my thought at the time, those who read this might not understand where the thought came from. So, allow me to reiterate the end of the previous blog.

It all comes from one instance that spurred a huge part of the guilt of self focus, my craving for attention, and the oblivious potential of becoming someone’s idol. Grove City Ohio. Some know, some don’t. So, a HUGE Nazarene church was the location and This Fires Embrace normally put us somewhere in the line up whenever they played there. Every time we’ve played there, we’ve gotten a major response from the crowd in mosh pits, reaction, and merch sales. This time was different. The set was going as planned and the crowd was going crazy during our songs, nothing new in Columbus. During the last song, Tyler, for some “not thought through” reason, invites the whole freakin front row onto the stage to dance with him. Cereal, like 40 kids just crowd the stage and a large chunk of them gathered around me. I was freakin out because I was worried about their safety. Well, I must admit it gave me a little bit more adrenaline though so I started rockin out harder with the kids on stage, you know. Then, about 7-8 kids around me got down on their knees and started bowing to me as though I was effin Allah or some $h!7! At that point I thought, “ok, this is definitely not about God anymore.” I didn’t stop playing even though I wanted to.
THEN, as that was happening, somebody from behind grabbed my right buttcheek. And, I’m talkin squeezed baby…grasped. Still playing, I turned around quickly to see who did it and it was a couple of teenage girls man! They yelled to me," you're so hot!" I shook my head and went back to rockin and they started doing it again. Finally the song ended and we were done playing. I stood up and everybody around went in for hugs. Sigh. I don’t think they were thinking about why I was playing drums at that moment, especially the dudes bowing and the grabbers.

Here’s the bottom line, people. I fear that I am a distraction for you. The question is, was my drumming a tool for leading the way to truth in Jesus, or was it a tool for showing off and self gratification? My intension is the first, but I can’t deny the latter. I do show off. I love playing my heart out and I love “getting into it.” You know why? Well, I don’t either. There are words to suggest the way I feel but they aren’t good enough. I’ll try anyway. I am SO grateful to God for allowing me to have a mind for understanding rhythm and coordination. I want to use it to the best of my ability! I love the feel of “chemistry” between friends through music. Making music with someone somehow creates an unmentioned bond. The affect of music is inexplicable. I remember going to see Phantom of the Opera for the first time. When the Phantom hit the falsetto note in “Music of the Night”, I teared up dudes! Not because of the storyline, and not because of the words being sung. It was just the note that touched my senses enough to push water from my insides in pure awe of ability. I love expanding my coordination. It rules when I create a “beat” that tests my mind.
I guess a see it as a compliment that escalated into a crave for the stage. Somebody noticed that I had coordination, and they felt the need to say something that made me feel accomplished and confident. Now, I sign drumsticks. Somewhere in the middle of the escalation, I was influenced to fuse my drumming with witnessing about the life of Christ. I wanted to be in a band/community/group of musicians that shared the ability to create and that was interested in the advancement of the kingdom. Our songs were nothing more than poems about love, grace, and truth in Christ with music behind it that contained the best of what each could bring to the song. So, why the following questions and observations?...

“I wonder how he feels when I do things to impress people so that they react to my display. Luke 17:1-2.
It scares me to death.”

With the thought of my choice to fuse Christ and my musical abilities, the failures of doing so are more prevalent in my reminiscence, specifically in Columbus, by leading kids into the sins of lust and false idolatry. I know it was their choice to carry them out, but I feel guilty being the vessel of those sins. Make sense? Again, I feel like I’m a distraction.
OK
“1Timithy2:2 Why is that so hard to do? What/where the eff does attention from random people get me in eternity!? NOTHING/NOWHERE you idiot!”

I didn’t have any resources handy and I took that verse out of context. I confess. BUT!, my thought still remains. I was trying to express frustration with my desire for self glorification. Why do I feel the need to impress folk? Why do I want to be known? I’m trying to make Christ known, not me. When people come and tell me that I am the best drummer they have ever seen, I feel good man. But how in this short lived, feeble existence is respect from peers going to get me closer to my creator? It won’t! and that is what I’m trying to tell myself. The desire for it though is tough to put aside when I’m on stage.

Often, I think of just throwing all music away and living quietly, helping others tangibly without ever being noticed.

Why don’t I just freakin do it!?

4 comments:

  1. I think it should be possible to play music for others and enjoy it yourself as well. But I can't see it as some sort of full-time ministry that one commits his life to. Why can't there be a balance here? Why can't you play music strictly for fun? Why can't you see playing in a band as a means to build relationships instead of hoping that lyrics will do something? The music community is a real thing. Participating in that community is a way to be able to share Christ with them. ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of the confusion over band vs. ministry thing is that people view ministry as what the band says, not what the band does. While, lyrically, the Beneath was good at ministering to people, off-stage there wasn't a whole lot going on. A lot of that hinged on the fact that there were conflicting stances within the band about what ministry was and even if they believed the message of the band. I think the ministry model that you guys were attempting to utilize set you up for failure.

    I have a lot of respect for you and David. Both of you have the ability to connect with people, and I've seen both of you utilize that for ministerial conversation. I think that's what ministry through a band is supposed to be, not talking from the stage and then ruining that witness through actions (not that things like that would ever happen).

    If you think about ministry in that context, issues like kids bowing to you or groping you become a discussion point off the stage. You can minister to them by teaching why that's not acceptable, and since you're the guy they're idolizing in that circumstance, you can use that influence to point the way to Christ. In your post you asked where getting attention from random people gets you in eternity, the answer is nowhere. But if you can use that attention to build a conversation about eternity, it has the potential to change what they get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all about the atmosphere you set yourself around, the respect that is expected. I can't help but think of the difference between a worship band and a hard-rocking band that is out in public. You are dealing witha different type of crowd here. Worship, you enter into a holy place, that, if someone dared come on the stage and grab aomeones butt, other people would shun upon that behavior. It's respect. I can't imagine what I would do if someone did that while I were leading worship. I'd stop everything and address it.

    I wonder how the music scene can gain that same type of respect? Probably not possible. It's a different crowd. At church, people come expecting to encouter God. At shows, they have no clue. Imagine that power you have. I think John was exactly right in saying that there were differences among the band that kept everyone consistent with the vision you and David had. You all had fun, but at the end of the day, you weren't pleased with the lack of response to the ministry you had in mind.

    Andrew, your heart is so guinuene (hope I spelled that right). You are truely finding what seeks the Lord (eph 5:10). I know you feel discouraged, but know that the drumming you are doing at remix is changing studets lives. It might not the be main reason for their lives changing, but you are a tool for God. That element prepares them for the presence of God. You keep searching, but know you are effective. Plus, these students live when you sing "true love". Sydney and Garrett love when you sing that...bc it comes from your heart. Your love for the Lord is strong. Keep your head up. God IS using you.

    Jaki

    ReplyDelete
  4. And sorry for all the freaking typos. iPhone typing is hard to do with big responses like that.

    ReplyDelete

Simple thanks...

The fact is, you just spent some of your life reading my blog. You were interested enough to check in to my thoughts and waste time to read about my mind. For this I wish to express my deepest gratitude. Thank you for the piece of your life you just sacrificed.
-A-